Thursday, September 30, 2010

Banana Bread with Cardamom


This looks suspiciously like the zucchini bread I posted about not too long ago...

The original title of this recipe was Granny Foster's Banana-Walnut Bread.  I don't have a Granny Foster and neither does my friend, Jennifer, who found this recipe for me.  We'd discussed our mutual affection for cardamom and afterwards, out of her generosity, she searched for this recipe.  I've had it forever, but haven't had 8 ripe bananas in my house at the same time in order to make it. 

My dad and stepmother visited recently and we all, on separate trips, purchased bunches of bananas.  Every corner of counter space had a pile of them.  Secretly, I was hoping they wouldn't all get eaten so I'd have an excuse to make this, shhhh. 

Cardamom is a Middle Eastern spice that I adore.  Please don't buy it in the spice aisle.  You'll spend way too much and then have a bunch leftover that'll go bad before you use it all.  Just go to any store that sells bulk spices (most natural foods stores do) and get the amount you need for your recipe.  In this case, 1/2 teaspoon will cost you about 27 cents as opposed to close to $10 in the spice aisle.  I can say that I NEVER purchase spices in the spice aisle.  I don't have anything against them, I just have a lot against over paying for stuff. 

The cardamom flavor in this is subtle and lovely.  It makes it extra special.  Both my dad and I agreed, however, that by the second day, we could no longer taste the cardamom.  My solution next time, will be to either half the recipe so it all gets eaten quickly or just give the other loaf away and make some one's day.  Who wouldn't want to  get a hot loaf of this deliciousness?  Well, I suppose folks that don't like banana bread wouldn't want it...but then again, they probably would skip reading this post, right?

Thanks, Jennifer for the fabulous recipe and for all the other ones you've given me that I have yet to try.
Thanks, Dad and Diane for the bananas!

Ingredients

4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cardamom
1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
2 cups sugar
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
8 very ripe banana, crushed
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups coarsely chopped walnuts

Directions

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
2. Grease and lightly flour two standard loaf pans and set aside
3. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, and cardamom in a large bowl and stir to mix.
4. Cream together the butter and sugar in a separate bowl with an electric mixer until well blended.  Slowly add the beaten eggs while continuing to beat.  Add the bananas and vanilla and stir to mix.
5. Slowly add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and stir just until all the dry ingredients are moist and well blended.  Do not over mix.  Fold in the walnuts and stir just to blend.
6. Pour the batter evenly into the prepared pans and let it settle to the sides; tap the pans on the counter a few times to even out the batter.
7. Bake 1 to 1 1/4 hours or until the bread rises and a toothpick inserted in the center of each loaf comes out clean.  The bread will be slightly brown and cracked on the top.
8. Let rest for 10 to 15 minutes before removing from the pans.  Serve warm or place on a baking rack to cool.

Variations:  Golden raisins or chopped pecans can be substituted for the walnuts.  Or, you can skip the walnuts altogether like I did.

1 comment:

  1. Hmmmm. I might have to try this, I think I like cardamom!

    ReplyDelete